I’ve already written on here about how to eat clean while traveling. There are lots of things you can pack with you in a cooler or suitcase to stick with good habits while on the go, but what if you don’t have access to a kitchen on a regular basis? I had a friend who once was traveling for work and lived out of a hotel room for several months at a time. He had some microwave dinners but not much else, and wound up going out to eat a lot. I give so much credit to college students who not only eats clean, but prepped food in their dorm room’s with just a mini fridge!
We are currently in the middle of renovating our kitchen… three weeks without cooking?? eek! To prepare, I immediately reverted back into competition mode and made a dozen egg muffins and a buttload of chicken breast. Dad made meatballs, and we stuck everything in the freezer so that we’d always have something on hand. We plan on doing most of the cooking outside on the grill, but in case it rains its nice to have a backup plan. We will probably go out to eat once a week or so, which I usually avoid doing, but its nice to have a break once in a while.
In addition to the grill, we have the a toaster oven, microwave, (I try to avoid using these, but for the next two weeks I’m making an exception) and coffee pot set up. Our refrigerator was removed, so we have a mini fridge in the middle of our living room, so classy! Here are some of the things I have planned to cook so far:
- pre-made egg muffins (I just throw three in the microwave)
- Oatmeal (can be made with hot water from coffee pot, or microwave)
- egg breakfast sandwich (microwave an egg, toast 2 slices of ezekiel bread, top with egg, ham, avocado and any other toppings you may like!)
- Non fat greek yogurt with peaches/berries (20 grams of protein per serving!)
- Protein shake (backup plan for lazy days)
- grilled meat
- grilled veggies/frozen bags of steamed veggies/raw veggies
- grilled sweet potato (just coast with olive oil or coconut oil, wrap in foil, and throw it on the grill!)
- fresh fruit
- deli meat sandwiches on ezekiel bread
- salads with meat and assorted veggies