Gosh this recipe is good. This is adapted from a recipe that my mother cooks. I’m not sure where she found the original version (I believe it was in a magazine). Its great for when you are craving an Asian-inspired dish, but don’t want the calories of ordering take-out Chinese.
I swapped out the ingredients in mom’s recipe to make it a bit healthier, (less sugar, chicken breast meat, etc) but none of the flavor was lost! You may not have all of the ingredients at home if you don’t regularly cook with mirin or coconut aminos, but I guarantee they are worth a trip to the grocery store because you will be making this dish over and over! Once you have all the ingredients, the prep is super quick, and the slow cooker does all of the work. It lasts me a few days, but I might try to double it and eat it all week. I hope you enjoy, let me know what you think 🙂
Slow Cooker Ginger -Garlic Chicken
- 1/3 c. mirin (rice wine)
- 1/3 c. coconut aminos
- 1/3 c. toasted sesame oil
- 1 tsp brown sugar (or sweetener of your choice)
- 6-8 garlic cloves, whole, peeled
- 1 inch piece of fresh garlic, chopped
- 2 lbs chicken breast
- Combine all ingredients in slow cooker, cook on low for 6 hours.
- Remove chicken and shred, then return to slow cooker.
- Serve with veggies, rice, by itself, just eat it with a spoon out of slow cooker… the possibilities are endless!