Hi everyone! I know these are delayed, I am still working on catching up with posting the workouts from the past few weeks on here. The reason I’m backing up to July is because I wanted to capture the whole training process between my last strongman show and the next upcoming one.
I wanted to give a brief comment about one of the things we often forget about when training: hydration. If you’re like me, you probably make a good effort to get your workouts in and eat healthy(ish). In addition to those things, maintaining proper hydration is crucial to your performance as an athlete, and your health in general. I make an effort to drink extra water before training, and sometimes I will drink a sports drink like gatorade or take pedialyte on a heavy/hot training day.
Last week I did a hot yoga class at 8am, after sleeping all night and not hydrating.. big mistake! I felt lethargic for the rest of the day, and had a pounding headache that would not go away. In hindsight I would have prepared better, but sometimes spontaneous yoga classes happen. I think I will stick to the unheated variety for a while.
Here’s a quick recap of workouts:
7/27/15: Rest Day – Grocery Shop/Meal Prep
7/28/15: CrossFit Toms River:
- Warmup: foam roll, lacrosse ball, band mobility 1/2 hr
- Squat Clean drills: (light technique work) 3x bar, 3 x 75lbs, 3 x 95 lbs
- DB Bench: 2 x 15 25lbs
- DB Row: 2 x 15 25lbs
- Deadlift: (bar, conventional) 3 x 95, 3 x 135, 3 x 185, 4 sets of 5 x 195, 1 set of 5 x 205
- hammer curl: 3 x 12 20lbs
- db shrug 3 x 12 20lbs
- band triceps pressdown 3 x 15 (blue band)
- glute bridge 3 x 8 with 40lbs
- warmup: band/lacrosse ball (shoulders)
- pull ups 5×8
- face pulls 5×20
- biceps curls 3x 20 15lbs
- band triceps extension 3 x 30
- Push Press GRID: 10x 75, 8 x 85, 6 x 90, 4 x 100, 2 x 105, 4 x 100, 8 x 85, 6 x 90, 9 x 85.
- Core Class (CFTR): hollow rocks, tabata sit ups, superman drills, around the world (hanging leg raise over PVC), tabata press ups.
- tabata air dyne and rower
- Back Squat 1 rep max: 85×8, 100x 6, 110 x 6, 115 x 2, 125 x 2, 135 x 1, 155 x 1, 165 x 1, 185 x 1, 205 – failed 2 attempts
- foam roll, stretch
- Active rest day: Hot Yoga class at Laughing Buddha. I wound up feeling really dehydrated and had a migraine that night. Hydrated like crazy to prepare for Strongman Sunday!
8/2/15: Mongrel Garage (CrossFit Equity)
- Sandbag load 2 x 4 (100lbs)
- Yoke Carry 3 sprints: 290, 340, 340
- Farmers Carry: 3 sprints: 115, 125, 145 (failed halfway)
- Car Deadlift/Simulator: frame/45’s/100’s/100’s+45’s on simulator. Failed attempts at car 3 x.
- Stone over bar: 3 x 140, 3 attempts at 170 (pick to lap, unable to get over bar)